Monday, May 21, 2007

It Begins.....

I today had a really, really scary phone call. I thought about the ramifications of what I am about to experience and have decided to blog it as it goes.....perhaps in a separate blog (as you can see...that is what I did!).....we'll see.

I have been coughing for some time. I blame it on my "terminal" post-nasal drip. A visit to the doctor last week brought elimination of one of my blood pressure drugs which, in some people, causes coughing.

In addition the doc sent me for an X-Ray of my chest. That was last Friday.

This morning the scary call from the doc's office. "Mr. DeLand, your X-Ray indicates a nodule on your lung."

Now they want a "CAT Scan" (CT Scan).....that delivers pictures slice-by-slice of my lungs for the docs to review. THEN we know if, indeed, we have a problem.

Scary!

Lots of things come drifting through my mind......My Maternal Grandfather died of lung cancer. Of course he was a confirmed 3 pack-per-day Camel smoker. I have never smoked cigarettes, and only on occasion smoked pipe or cigar.....nothing for probably 6-8 years..... When I did the pipe/cigar thing I did not inhale, and I usually smoked 1-2 times per month. Not the likely candidate for smoking-related problems!

How much does heredity play in this scenario?

Now to the CAT Scan and determination if I am waving a flag of problem before necessary.

Stay tuned kiddies!

Duke

(This taken from my base blog......I am keeping this information from there for now as I have not even told my kids.....)

No comments: