Friday, June 29, 2007

I am Changed!

No matter the positive (apparently....we'll know in one year....giggle) outcome of my mind-numbing recent prospects for a very rocky future, I still find I am a changed person.

Oh, no I am not referring to a sudden renewal of my religious positions and actions, but rather a now-apparent-to-me awareness that, at 64 years of age, I am mortal.

I remember well thinking in my 30s and my 40s that life could be short. I then had a goal of making it to the turn of the century. That was when i was 58, and at that point I would be older than my father when he passed. He nearly died at 47, and frankly given the state of medicine then about his coronary artery disease it is amazing he made it to 57.

When 2000 came and went and I was still apparently fine, I somehow made a quantum leap of faith that 75-90 was realistic. My prognostication, albeit it mostly a mental, non-written or spoken thing, was based upon my study of the family tree. Many of my male relatives lived into their late 80s, and even mid-90s....and this when the average lifespan was WAY lower.

The events of the past weeks have sobered my euphoria a bit and made me aware I need to take ownership of my health. Much more than I have been doing.

We shall see if I stick to this.

We shall see what comes next in my movement into a new world of awareness!

Duke

No comments: