Thursday, June 21, 2007

PHEW!!!! - The Situation Dissipates!

I have been contemplating just how to write this......

But first.....I am OFF THE HOOK on the reported "aneurysm".

My delay was as I feel almost like I stole something from someone. I read the tales at other sites of continuing battles, and suddenly find I apparently do not have one. More to the point Instapundit & GM Roper as well asothers, including my online high school friends from 46 years ago sent much encouragement and support. My prayers will remain with each and every one of them.

Now the story: I mentioned in my last post that my boss (I am retired, but still on-contract at the hospital) was getting involved. That was an understatement!

Yesterday morning Duchess and I met with him at 9am. After he worked thru the CAT Scan report of aneurysm and CAD (coronary artery disease), he made some calls.

By 1pm I was meeting with the lead thoracic surgeon who is nationally-known. We sat in the boss's conference room as he examined me and went online to review the written CAT Scan report as well as the actual "slices" in the scan. He announced I DO NOT have an aneurysm....I have a slightly enlarged aorta which may have been that way all my life. We are a good bit away from a dangerous aneurysm. He also pronounced the CAD to be minor and in-line with my age of 64.

By 3:45 I was with my own cardiologist, also courtesy of a call from the boss. He concurred with the thoracic surgeon.

Results of the entire episode? I have one new med to keep my systolic blood pressure reading down. I will have follow-up CAT Scan at 6 and 12 months, just to make sure all is static.....and, I get an ultrasound of my carotids, despite the fact both docs felt they are open. This last bit is due family history of BAD carotids.

Soooo....

In a brief period of a few weeks I have gone from a cough to an x-ray revealing a shadow on my lung to a CAT Scan reported as showing an aneurysm and CAD to an apparent normal reading.......and no surgery, additional major actions, etc.

Incredible, and I am still reeling about and trying to get back in focus.

How marvelous today's technological advances are, and how great to have been "in the right place at the right time" as far as my employment and contacts go. Not everyone is so fortunate as to work for one of the top cardiac hospitals in the nation (#4 in heart transplants)...and to work for the man with the hammer to help me so much.

As I said I feel both fortunate and a bit embarrassed by it all.

Thanks again to Instapundit who directed me to GM Roper who gave encouragement and advice...primary among those things was "maintain a positive attitude"...here's his post about my site.

Thank you both for your support and caring.

Duke

3 comments:

GM Roper said...

Your Excellentcy (is that how you address a Duke?) This is WONDERFUL news. I am so glad. Prayers are indeed answered and lots of times it is the answer we desire. God bless my friend, and do keep positive. (And thanks for the kind words).

GM Roper said...

You would think I would know how to spell... that should read "Excellency."

Duke of DeLand said...

Sorry for the late response sir, but this Duke is not royalty....My nickname came from high school when I was fashioned as "The Duke" referring to my music and THE DUKE....Ellington!

While I am no longer involved in music...except from the listening side I was blessed to have a high school band director whose talents were amazing, and he later became the focus of a song by his talented Son, Dan Fogelberg. Larry Fogelberg was indeed, "The Leader of The Band!"

How fortunate for a small-town Midwesterner to have such a gift as this talent to open my mind to music!

Duke