Saturday, June 16, 2007

Thinking, Realization, Worry

Things are moving so slowly it seems more like a film being run at half-speed.

I am going to be waiting until Wednesday to get much more information. My person physician's office called and his nurse said they wanted me to get with a thoracic surgeon as soon as possible.

What I am doing....and it is a blessing that I was employed where I was prior to retiring (& still am on contract there for work from home and at the hospital)...is meeting with the chief physician of the hospital who is apparently stepping right in to guide me. His contacts are much greater than mine....his knowledge light years ahead of mine.

At this point I am aware of two problems.....the aneurysm in my ascending aorta, and an apparent calcification in my aorta and other areas since I had a heart cath 13 years ago and was clean. That is not good news. My mother and grandmother died of just such calcification.

The aneurysm is apparently small. Hopefully. It may even be something that can wait for a while to be addressed. The team at the hospital is working on a procedure to use stents in the ascending aorta. Currently they do this in the descending aorta. That is preferable as it keeps from "cracking open" the chest to do regular surgery.

Obviously, at this point i am only engaged in speculation. The feeling of recognizing my own mortality is really not where I wanted to be right now.

Duke

No comments: